Communication as a field of study covers various ways by which humans communicate. It focuses on how verbal and non-verbal messages are used to create meanings in different contexts using diverse media platforms. In a macro perspective, global communication in the twenty-first century is made possible by the use of a language understood by all and that language is English. As an official language in the Philippines, English is used in government and law, education, media, business, and industry. As such, there is a demand for graduates who not only have an adequate facility of English but can competently and effectively use the language in different contexts and for various purposes.
Bachelor of Arts in English Language (AB English)
Specialization: English Language Across Professions (Mass Communication / English Language Teaching / Corporate Communication)
- An undergraduate program that integrates theory and practice to prepare the students for effective communication in English in diverse contexts and situations. Students are trained to have proficiency in English and other foreign languages, competence in linguistics, skills in media and communication industries, and excellence in research. The program trains future English teachers (elementary/high school/college), mass communication specialists (journalism, broadcasting, film, and online), editors (newspaper, magazine, company/agency publication), editorial assistant, copywriter, public relations officer, interpreter, secretary, researcher, government extension worker, translator, and customer service assistant.
Graduates of LA CONCEPCION COLLEGE have the ability to:
- Articulate and discuss the latest developments in the specific field of practice;
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing using both English and Filipino;
- Work effectively and independently in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams;
- Act in recognition of professional, social, and ethical responsibility;
- Preserve and promote “Filipino historical and cultural heritage” (based on RA 7722);
- Participate in various types of employment, development activities, and public discourses, particularly in response to the needs of the communities one serves. (based CMO No. 46, series 2012); and
- Embody the LCC’s Core Values – Leadership, Competitiveness, and Culture of Excellence that befit a true proud LCCian.
Communication Arts Division Outcomes
Within 3 to 5 years after graduation LA CONCEPCION COLLEGE’s Communication Arts Division expects that the AB English Language graduates will:
- Impart essential knowledge, elements, tools, and skills necessary to become successful communication professionals;
- Develop students’ ability to recognize, formulate, and solve issues and problems in the areas of English Language (both oral and written) fluently, accurately, and creatively in diverse social, cultural, academic, and professional settings; and
- Provide the students with a meaningful experience in research and development that are relevant to the communication field.
Program Outcomes Common for Communication Arts program:
Graduates of the Communication Arts program equipped with relevant knowledge, skills, attitude, and values shall be able to:
- Recognize the need for and demonstrate the ability for lifelong learning;
- Identify multi-perspectives and interrelations among texts and contexts;
- Apply analytical and interpretative skills in the study of texts;
- Discuss and/or create artistic forms;
- Demonstrate research skills specific to sub-disciplines in the humanities;
- Use appropriate theories and methodologies critically and creatively; and
- Appraise the role of humanistic education in the formation of the human being and society.
Program Outcomes Common for AB English:
Graduates of the AB English Language program equipped with relevant knowledge, skills, attitude, and values shall be able to:
- Communicate in English (both oral and written) fluently, accurately, and creatively in diverse social, cultural, academic, and professional settings;
- Communicate in different formats and platforms (print, broadcast, and online);
- Facilitate English language learning in a school setting;
- Teach English communication skills using knowledge of best practices;
- Enhance literary development and critical and creative thinking among students through the use of different types of texts;
- Engage in English language research relevant to school and workplace settings.
CAREER AND JOB OPPORTUNITIES:
Graduates of the Mass Communication programs are prepared for careers in the following fields, among others:
Bachelor of Arts in English Language Graduates
- College English Teacher
- School teacher in secondary schools
- ESL teacher
- Copywriter (Advertising)
- Speech and writing coach/trainer
- Public relations and media affairs practitioner
- Writer for newspapers and magazines