Criminology is the study of crime and the various agencies of justice as they operate and react to crime, criminals, and victims. It is, therefore, the mission of the Criminology program to provide the community with professionally competent and morally upright graduates who can deliver efficient and effective services in crime prevention, crime detection, and investigation, law enforcement, public safety, custody and rehabilitation of offenders, criminological research among others.
The Criminology program of LCC envisions to be significant contributors of graduates who have the knowledge, skills, attitude, and values in addressing the problem of criminality in the country and the character and competence to meet the challenges of globalization in the field of criminology.
The BS Criminology program is geared towards careers in scientific crime detection, police administration, corrections, jail management and penology, fire protection and industrial security as well. Its pragmatic value lies in its responsiveness to the strengthening of law enforcement agencies, the improvement of criminal justice administration and the enhancement of the public safety and security.
The program aims to:
- encourage research and inquiry on the nature, causes, treatment or punishment of criminal behavior and how criminal justice agencies function and respond to crime, criminals, and victims.
- prepare the students for careers in crime prevention, law enforcement, scientific crime detection, correctional administration, public safety, and allied fields.
- foster the values of leadership, integrity, accountability, and responsibility while serving their community and country.
Graduates of LA CONCEPCION COLLEGE have the ability to:
- Articulate and discuss the latest developments in the specific field of practice;
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing using both English and Filipino;
- Work effectively and independently in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams;
- Act in recognition of professional, social, and ethical responsibility;
- Preserve and promote “Filipino historical and cultural heritage” (based on RA 7722);
- Participate in various types of employment, development activities, and public discourses, particularly in response to the needs of the communities one serves. (based CMO No. 46, series 2012); and
- Embody the LCC’s Core Values – Leadership, Competitiveness, and Culture of Excellence that befit a true proud LCCian.
Program Outcomes for BS Crim:
Graduates of BS Criminology program are equipped with relevant knowledge, skills, attitude, and values shall be able to:
- conduct criminological research on crime, crime causation, victims, and offenders to include deviant behavior;
- internalize the concepts of human rights and victim welfare;
- demonstrate competence and broad understanding of law enforcement administration, public safety, and criminal justice;
- utilize criminalistics or forensic science in the investigation and detection of crime
- apply the principles and jurisprudence of criminal law, evidence, and criminal procedure; and
- ensure offenders’ welfare and development for their re-integration to the community.
CAREER AND JOB OPPORTUNITIES:
A graduate of BS Criminology is prepared for careers in the following fields, among others:
- Police Officer
- Registered Criminologist
- Crime Sociologist
- Criminological Research
- Law Enforcement Administrator
- Scientific Crime Detection and Investigation
- Forensic Science and Criminalistics
- Police Photography
- Polygraphy (Lie Detection)
- Questioned Document Examination, and etc
- Correctional Administration
- Fire Protection and Detection
- Public Safety
- Security Management