Psychology is the scientific study of human behavior and mental processes. In general, the emphasis is on the individual person and how the person’s mental processes and behavior are affected by internal, relational, and social factors. Psychology as a discipline and professional practice contributes to national development through basic and applied research and interventions aimed at solving problems and promoting optimal development and functioning individual, family, group, organizations/institutions, community, and national levels.
Bachelor of Science in Psychology (BS PSYCH)
The BS Psychology program is the same with the AB Psychology program but with additional preparation in the natural sciences. LCC’s undergraduate psychology program prepares graduates in the field of psychology, medicine, teaching, and research. The study of Psychology adds a vertical dimension to the lives of students by deepening their knowledge of themselves and that of other people. It is a compelling field of study because it deals with topics that can be applied to everyday life. The educational, industrial as well as the clinical exposure the students undergo during their practicum or on-the-job training will prepare them to be effective workers in the helping profession.
Graduates of LA CONCEPCION COLLEGE have the ability to:
- Articulate and discuss the latest developments in the specific field of practice;
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing using both English and Filipino;
- Work effectively and independently in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams;
- Act in recognition of professional, social, and ethical responsibility;
- Preserve and promote “Filipino historical and cultural heritage” (based on RA 7722);
- Participate in various types of employment, development activities, and public discourses, particularly in response to the needs of the communities one serves. (based CMO No. 46, series 2012); and
- Embody the LCC’s Core Values – Leadership, Competitiveness, and Culture of Excellence that befit a true proud LCCian.
Psychology Division Outcomes:
Within 3 to 5 years after graduation LA CONCEPCION COLLEGE’s Psychology Division expects that the BS Psychology graduates will:
- Impart essential knowledge, elements, tools, and skills necessary to become a successful professional psychometricians;
- Develop students’ ability to recognize, formulate, and solve issues and problems in the areas of Psychology; and
- Provide the students with a meaningful experience in research and development that are relevant to the Psychology field.
Program Outcomes for BS Psychology:
Graduates of the BS Psychology program are equipped with relevant knowledge, skills, attitude, and values shall be able to:
- Demonstrate the capability to discuss and analyze the major theories and concepts in psychology (knowledge in psychology);
- Demonstrate and apply the methods of psychological inquiry in building knowledge on local culture and context (psychological research);
- Demonstrate and apply psychological theories and methods in a personal and professional setting (application of psychology);
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behaviors in research and practice in psychology (ethics);
- Demonstrate harmonious interpersonal relationships with colleagues, clients, and others (interpersonal skills) in a diverse cultural setting; and
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct psychological assessments and evaluation (psychological assessment).
To prepare the students with the needed exposure in Psychology, Natural Science, and other related subjects, we have the following specialized laboratories for the BS Psychology program:
- Psychological Research Room
- Psychological Testing Laboratory
- Chemistry Laboratory
- Physics Laboratory
- Biology Laboratory
CAREER AND JOB OPPORTUNITIES:
Graduates of the Psychology program are prepared for careers in the following fields, among others:
- Registered Psychometricians
- Clinical Psychology Practitioner
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology Practitioners
- School Psychology Practitioners
- Human Resource Management Specialist
- Pre-medicine Specialists
- Psychology Advisers